Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 22:04:51 -0500

"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message news:40bb384c.4249440_at_news-read3.maxwell.syr.edu...
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 09:17:03 -0300, Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti
> Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> >Em Sun, 30 May 2004 11:32:37 +0000, Alfredo Novoa escreveu:
> >
> >> I am completely opposed to faith and other forms of irrationalism. The
> >> Relational Model is maths not irrational faith.
> >
> > This is OT
>
> I disagree.
>
> >, but there is such a thing as rational faith. You
> >use it everyday to function in society.
>
> No, faith is irrational by definition. If it is rational then it is
> not faith. It is deduction based on incomplete information.

Faith does not base decisions of truth or falsity on rationality, but it need not be irrational -- perhaps a-rational would be more accurate? For example if one were to believe that rationality were the only means to determining truth, that might be wrong or it might be outside of rationality for this believer to arrive at that conclusion, but I don't think it is irrational to hold to such a belief. Similarly for other religions.

--dawn Received on Tue Jun 01 2004 - 05:04:51 CEST

Original text of this message