Re: Nearest Common Ancestor Report (XDb1's $1000 Challenge)

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 1 Jun 2004 02:52:24 GMT

Clinging to sanity, Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_mail.ocis.net> mumbled into her beard:
> "Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>"Hugo Kornelis" <hugo_at_pe_NO_rFact.in_SPAM_fo> wrote in message
>>
>>> You still owe me $1000.
>>
>>Why does this remind me so much of the "Nigerian bank scam"?
>
> What I have been wondering for over a week is not if Neo will pay
> his debt, but whether anyone making such an offer has ever paid up.
>
> Neo, I could understand you not paying if you had made an error
> in your initial challenge, you corrected it shortly after, and Hugo
> was hounding you on the basis of the erroneous challenge. This is not
> so though. Hugo has been quite polite even while attempting to
> collect on the debt.
>
> Due to what I have seen in the past about such offers, I was
> skeptical that you would pay, and now, I am nearly certain you will
> not. If you will not keep your word, why should anyone do business
> with you?

This is pretty much par for the course.

  • "Neo" didn't state a deadline, nor other rules that would make the contest one that could clearly be managed.
  • He didn't identify who he really is, and has fabricated an identity directly out of the _Matrix_ series.
  • The product claims are full of hyperbolae.

Why would anyone imagine that the promise to pay $1000 was an honest one?

It's a publicity stunt that "Neo" can't afford the embarrassment of losing. If someone can 'win' the prize, then that's effectively a proof that his product is snakeoil.

--
output = ("cbbrowne" "_at_" "acm.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html