It don't mean a thing ...

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 15:46:06 +0200

x wrote:
>> Well, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data ,
>> under meaning of data and information,
>> say "data on its own has no meaning".

<quote>

          Data on its own has no meaning, only
          when interpreted by some kind of data
          processing system does it take on
          meaning and become information.
</quote>

Googling for this statement showed me
that some serious copy & pasting of it
has been going on. Does it have a source? Do you (posters - and lurkers - of c.d.theory) subscribe to this point of view?
Is it bad?

Please share your opinion.

To not let you in the dark about mine I'll repeat:

Can we really discuss database while agreeing upon a definition of data which says data ('on its own') have no meaning? I don't think so. Received on Tue Jun 01 2004 - 15:46:06 CEST

Original text of this message