Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 15:48:27 -0400

"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message news:40bb57bc.12296150_at_news-read3.maxwell.syr.edu...
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:12:28 -0400, "Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >> OO was an important advance although botched-up and oversold.
> >
> >The same could be said about the Relational Data Model.
>
> No, The Relational Model is ellegant and undersold.

Agreed.

But every time someone comes up with a product that is called "Relational" and it turns out to be a botched up variation of the RDM, and the product is oversold, you take the easy way out and define that product as "not relational". Thus the pristine purity of your ideal model is never touched by the imperfections of an actual work of engineering.

It reminds me of my friend who says "communism has never been tried."

What are you going to do when you are ready to release the product you are working on? Received on Mon May 31 2004 - 21:48:27 CEST

Original text of this message