Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 19:15:57 +0200

x wrote:
[snip]
> mAsterdam wrote:

>>x wrote:
>>>Why store and retrieve are *physical*  properties ?
>>
>>?
>>Can you please spare me guessing what you mean by rephrasing?

> Alfredo said "It has to do with whether you think that abstract objects have
> not physical properties."
> I thougt he meant data cannot be stored or retrieved because it has not
> physical properties.

Ah - Ok. Thank you.
'storing' data makes me think of writing someting on a paper record and putting it in a drawer.
'retrieving' data would be opening the drawer, searching the right piece of paper and reading it.

This use of language is an example of a phenomenon which is sometimes phrased as "form survives function". Other examples are: The serif on fonts (used in roman carvings to prevent unwanted splitting of the stone, yet still in use), the QWERTY keyboard (designed to slow typists down to prevent hammers clashing - yet still in use) and the footboard on cars (designed used for high carriages, yet still in use on cars made in the 1940's). It is metaphore. Useful but limited. Received on Mon May 31 2004 - 19:15:57 CEST

Original text of this message