Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 17:46:33 +0200

x wrote:

> Laconic2 wrote:

>>mAsterdam wrote:
>>>The physical representation, real,
>>>only contains shapes and media, not meaning.
>>Agreed.
>>>Data IMO encompasses meaning.
[snip SETI]

>>>So, in order to retrieve data from the rosetta stone, we need to
>>>interpret the carvings (being shapes on media a.k.a. signs).
>>
>>Well, the rosetta stone may have been a poor example.
>>It contained the same message in Greek, and in
>>Hieroglyphics and some other language. The people
>>who decoded the Rosetta stone knew one of the languages,
>> and used that one to decode the others.
>
>  I think mAsterdam said we could take a stone from the ground,
>  look at the scratch marks, and don't know if there is some data on it
> (or if we discovered some ancient writing system :-).

Ok ok, I'll do the excersize: The signs (shape - scratch marks and media - stone) were clear. The researchers assumed that these 3 sets of signs would convey they same meaning. What data was there? Once they had decoding rules (two-step decoding rules : signs to language and language to meaning) for one set they tried, under that assumption to derive decoding rules for the other set of signs. Received on Mon May 31 2004 - 17:46:33 CEST

Original text of this message