Re: Is Ingres yet relational?

From: Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 09:05:25 -0300

Em Sun, 30 May 2004 11:32:40 +0000, Alfredo Novoa escreveu:

> > Ingres wasn't originally an SQL DBMS.
>
> Nor a truly relational one. SQL is only a part of the problem.

        I never studied QUEL. I am interested in it because it is said to be 'more relational' than SQL -- I don't know to which point.

        Indeed the current reference includes duplicates and NULLs, so it isn't *that* better.

>> 	I submit to their own loss...

> It is pragmatic.

        I've heard the argument to the contrary by quite expert programmers.

> And on many other things. For instance I have never seen a well
> documented complex open source project.

        Free software programmers tend to say the best documentation is source code.

        From gaps in black box software documentation I tend to agree.

>> 	Looks like you are really foreign to all the free software
>> ethos.

> I use a lot of free software, and even some open source, but to study
> and to modify the code of others is a last resource.

        Indeed. But there are quite a few instances when this last resource is needed.

> It looks like you are very foreign to programming.

        Done my bit, but no hacker indeed...

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219
Av Sgto Geraldo Santana, 1100 6/71        leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm