Re: Pre-relational, post-relational, 1968 CODASYL "Survey of Data Base Systems"

From: Ken North <knorth2_at_deletethis.yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 16:19:34 -0700

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" wrote in message
> There are detailed flow charts that Don Nelson prepared in the early 60's as
the spec for GIRLS. I thought he did that while at TRW, with Pick joining him later.
Is Dwight Duettell still living?

"Evolution of Data-Base Management Systems", (ACM Computing Survey, Vol 8, number 1, March 1976) by Fry and Sibley, discusses GIRLS as the forerunner to Informatics MARK IV (not GIM).

Under the section of references for 'DBMS prior to 1968", it includes "Generalized information retrieval and listing system" Datamation (Dec. 1962) by J.A. Postley and T.D. Buettell.

So Dwight Buettell worked on GIRLS before he went to the TRW department that created GIM.

  • Ken North =========== www.WebServicesSummit.com www.SQLSummit.com www.GridSummit.com