Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 12:59:39 -0500

"Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra" <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:pan.2004.05.28.12.51.35.797326_at_dutra.fastmail.fm...
> Em Fri, 28 May 2004 11:11:03 +0000, Alfredo Novoa escreveu:
>
> > See www.dbdebunk.com for a revision of 1NF.
>
> Unfortunately it co$ts...

I paid for it and I can give my impression (which you won't like) -- that relational theorists have finally concluded that 1NF as we have learned it for a few decades now has no mathematical backing in relational theory (but, of course, I knew that;-). So, they have to extend the theory now to provide for nested relations, which, of course, have been part of every software application that is not relational since I don't know when. Then Pascal's document (which I also paid for) comes along and says "yes, but here are the reasons why you don't want to use nested relations even though they are mathematically sound" thus proving that even if a theory is mathematically sound (e.g. relational theory), that doesn't mean it has enough practical value to employ it.

smiles (you are smiling, right?) --dawn Received on Fri May 28 2004 - 19:59:39 CEST

Original text of this message