Re: data & code

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 16:38:51 GMT

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:c95j6f$g9t$1_at_news.netins.net...
> "mountain man" <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op> wrote in message
> > "Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message
> > > "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message

> set
> > of
> > >
> > > It is the set of all the bytes in the hard disk :-)
> >
> > Well, this is the E0 - hardware and E1 - OS perspective,
> > and is quite valid for what layers in represents. ;-)
> >
> > I purposefully, for the discussion within this group, restrict
> > a formal definition to the "computerized" element of an
> > organization's "intelligence".
> >
> > And to be reasonable, the "intelligent" and more organization-
> > specific code is found in the RDBMS software (E2) and
> > application software (E3) layers.
> >
> > It is my thesis that only by addressing the union of E2 and E3
> > will the next technologically and organizationally demanded
> > database system theory be defined.
> >
> > Theory addressing either layer, since 1979, is incomplete
> > (with respect to organizational intelligence), because OI
> > is resident in the union of the layers.

> While I don't say it the same way, count me in this camp too. I agree we
> need to treat these together. But, I'm not fond of the "organizational
> intelligence" term. It sounds like it is the total of the organization's
> application software, or something else that already has a name? --dawn

It is at least the total of anything encoded within the computer system. Yes, it includes the total of the (database dependent) application software AND the database and constraints, triggers, procedures, etc.

However it also includes the mandatory processes related to change management, which are entirely separate from development. These are critical database management tasks relating to the "juggling of the production and the development", and the staged progression of all forms of change in the software (E1/E2/E3) environment.

There is no doubt that it is "organizational intelligence" (some folk also refer to "business intelligence" - ie: business organizations) that the modern RDBMS implementations are capable of storing.

Modelling the data was a good start. But the future will need to model the rudiments of OI.

Pete Brown
Falls Creek
Oz Received on Fri May 28 2004 - 18:38:51 CEST

Original text of this message