Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:11:03 GMT

On Thu, 27 May 2004 09:43:22 -0400, "Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote:

>> You can represent a tree with a relation. There is no problem.
>
>You can represent a relation with a tree. I don't understand your point.

I meant that the data derived from parsing code is data like any other.

>> I disagree. Optimizer compilers are here since a while. If you
>> translate the optimized syntax trees into code you will have
>> normalized code.
>
>The word "normalized" can apparently mean many things.

Indeed.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/NormalForm.html

>My first exposure to this word was in the processor manuals description of
>floating point arithmetic.

Mine was in high school maths.

>I think of the above definition as utterly unconnected to the meaning that
>Codd gave for "normal form of data" in the original paper.

I disagree. The "spirit" is the same.

> And I have yet
>to see a definition that legitimately revises that definition. Normal
>forms beyond 1NF extend 1NF, but do not revise 1NF.

See www.dbdebunk.com for a revision of 1NF.

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Fri May 28 2004 - 13:11:03 CEST

Original text of this message