Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: John Jacob <jingleheimerschmitt_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 May 2004 18:16:34 -0700

> You see Date's definition of the Relational Model of the data?
> He too attempts to address the system. Please read his definition
> which I have replicated below.
>
> Relational database systems theory based on the RM cannot
> hope to approach this simple notion of intelligence, because it
> is not (yet) designed for that.
>
> Organizations and industry need to have a working model
> of organizational intelligence, not just the data. Constructive
> here is my criticism of the Relational Model.

You have yet to address the fundamental questions that have been raised in this discussion. You are re-inventing the wheel here, but your wheel is square. Your claim amounts to nothing less than stating that algebra is incomplete because it does not address structural engineering. You have read one textbook on elementary algebra, and because all it said is that algebra enables things like structural engineering, you have assumed that structural engineering is never addressed. You refuse to familiarize yourself with current thinking on structural engineering, even though the very same author that wrote the one textbook you have read has written extensively on the subject, and instead have decided to come up with your own theory of structural engineering. All without even correctly identifying the reasons that we need structural engineering in the first place! If your intent is simply to have 'found the solution', so be it, we proclaim you the genius that brought us the 'relational model of organizational intelligence.' In the meantime, we will be addressing the real issues that we face in actual application development every day. Received on Fri May 28 2004 - 03:16:34 CEST

Original text of this message