Re: data & code

From: Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 09:39:49 -0300

Em Thu, 27 May 2004 10:33:59 +0100, Paul escreveu:

> Do you mean operators plural?

        Yep.

> What about operators that take their argument from more than one
> data type? e.g. multipying a real by an integer? or concatenating a
> char a given number of times? Where do these operators fit in?

        Good question. I'd submit these operators are also part of their types, only they are part of more than one type at a time.

        In the case of multiplication, something like D&D's hierarchical type system would be interesting, as the multiplication could be deemed part of the number supertype to both real and integer. Too bad it was deemed too complicated and not useful enough for Alphora Dataphor.

        In the case of concatenation, I would submit that it belongs to char, the number of times is just a parameter. But I might be seriously wrong.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219
Av Sgto Geraldo Santana, 1100 6/71        leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm