Re: data & code

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 01:35:35 +0200

Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:

> mAsterdam wrote:

[snip]

>>BTW I am still looking for 'type'.

> For the definition of type?
>
> Def: The type of a variable v is the set of all valid values for v.

So, a synonym to domain? Sounds ok with me. However, I've also seen people include implied valid operators as part of the type, some even including ad hoc operator definitions as being part of the type. What is your take on that? (To me this has a very artificial ring to it, but that just may be a matter of taste).

> Note: The "type" of a value only makes sense to me as short-hand means of
> discussing the type of the variable whose value is this. Values outside of
> the context of a variable have no type as far as I'm concerned, even if they
> have a representation that looks like representations of some type.

Sharp :-) Received on Thu May 27 2004 - 01:35:35 CEST

Original text of this message