Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:14:18 -0500

"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message news:40b4b0e4.19159429_at_news.wanadoo.es...
> On Wed, 26 May 2004 08:13:03 -0500, "Dawn M. Wolthuis"
> <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote:
>
> >Data are stored in functions (any relation with a candidate key can be
seen
> >as a function) and code is based on data and functions.
>
> Very very wrong. A relation is a constant.

So is a function.

> >Code can be stored as data, just as any document can
>
> Yes, but it is irrelevant to the end user.

Yes, agreed that is a difference.

> >Data is used to specify code (such as in a declarative language)
>
> No, but code can be represented in a database.

> >Metadata is code or specifies code
>
> A blunder!
>
> Metadata is data and not code.

If you think of code as only procedural, then you would be correct, however, metadata serves as "parameters" within processes, thereby altering various functions -- it is code (as well as data). Again, this could be a matter of definitions.

> >Business Rules specify code as data
>
> Another nonsense. You don't talk seriously.

Yes, I'm very serious about this. I gather that you would state that business rules are strictly code? If so, what if the software I write accepts business rules written in Java? --dawn Received on Thu May 27 2004 - 01:14:18 CEST

Original text of this message