Re: Is Ingres yet relational?

From: Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 12:20:50 -0300

Em Wed, 26 May 2004 07:06:27 -0700, Paul Mason escreveu:

>>	I wonder if such a QUEL-only applications would avoid
>>duplicates, NULLs and the such.

> If you specifically wrote your application that way it would. NULLs and
> duplicates exist but you're not forced to use them.

        Indeed, but their existence, and that of SQL access, inherently hinders optimisation.

> Depends what you mean. You can run Ingres, write applications for it and never
> have to type an SQL command - however some tools will use SQL themselves.
> You can also run QUEL queries against views defined in SQL - so you do not need
> to rely on SQL to query the system catalogs (many of which are still defined in
> QUEL)
        Better than nothing...

        Actually what I was thinking was the possibility of creating a 'relational Ingres' by striping it of SQL, perhaps replacing it by Alphora's RealSQL. But perhaps it would be just as easy to backport QUEL to PostgreSQL...

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219
Av Sgto Geraldo Santana, 1100 6/71        leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm