Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 08:13:03 -0500

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:jrmdnYPhReTWEindRVn-uA_at_comcast.com...

> "Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message
>

> > They have nothing in common.
>
> They are both digitized.
> They are stored in common memory.
> Code can be manipulated as though it were data.
>
> They both liked "Breakfast at Tiffany".

all good points ;-)

Also,

A user querying "the data" need not know whether the vocabulary they are using is for stored data or derived data (user-defined function, for example).

Data are stored in functions (any relation with a candidate key can be seen as a function) and code is based on data and functions.

Code can be stored as data, just as any document can

Data is used to specify code (such as in a declarative language)

Metadata is code or specifies code and is, as the word suggests, also data

Business Rules specify code as data

The biggest difference I can see is that stored data (including Rules) have both IT professionals and end-users as stewards of that data, while most other data and code have only the IT professionals as stewards.

Otherwise, code and data seem to be two sides of the same coin. --dawn Received on Wed May 26 2004 - 15:13:03 CEST

Original text of this message