Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Anthony W. Youngman <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 18:04:55 +0100

In message <ef8e4d1e.0405231422.11fef65e_at_posting.google.com>, Todd B <toddkennethbenson_at_yahoo.com> writes
>> I suppose at least we would know that in theory, every query that it is
>> possible to formulate in some given relational query language can be
>> answered.
>
>Can you give me an example of where there is proof of first order
>logic being complete? Keep in mind I'm sticking to the definition of
>complete as 'things that we prove true within the system are also true
>in the reality which we use the system to describe'. Is first order
>logic 'consistent'? Well, of course it is; it's kind of a
>requirement. Is it 'complete', though? I don't think so, but please
>prove me wrong or point me to some articles that do.

But that definition of "complete" only works if we can prove, scientifically, that the system accurately describes the reality.

If we cannot show that "the system" and "the reality" match up with each other (which we can't if we don't have a philosophical definition of "data" in "the reality") then it's impossible for "the system" to be complete ...

Cheers,
Wol

as Lies-to-People.