Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: John Jacob <jingleheimerschmitt_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 May 2004 07:55:49 -0700

> Application program componentry.

Quit making up terms.

> > > Does Date address the application layer in "Intro DB Systems"? No.
> >
> > So if he doesn't address it in An Introduction to Database Systems, he
> > never addresses it? He's written quite a bit more than that textbook.
>
> What does "What not How" say about the application software layer
> surrounding the database? How many chapters are devoted to the
> generalised theory of the relationship between the applications layer
> and the RDBMS layer?

Let's see, the sub-title is "The Business Rules Approach to Application Development" so I'm gonna go with *all* of them. You're critiquing a book you haven't read. Read it, then decide whether or not it adequately addresses application development.

> > I didn't say they were the same. I said don't introduce a new term
> > for an existing concept. What you are calling "intelligence" here is
> > simply application logic.
>
> It is the emergent dynamic over and above the sum of the parts.

What is to be gained by coining a new term for an existing concept? (Besides confusion)

> The article details change-management tasks that must be described
> as coordination tasks (generic and independent of the application
> program language selected). These coordination tasks are the most
> expensive maintenance costs in standard database systems.

You mean DDL statements. Quit making up new terms.

> They are directly related to both the data and the application
> environment.

Of course they are.

> But it is not just simply application logic, it is the intelligence and
> automations behind the coordinated management of an RDBMS
> and its application.

Intelligence = application logic, you're statement is redundant. Received on Tue May 25 2004 - 16:55:49 CEST

Original text of this message