Re: Nearest Common Ancestor Report (XDb1's $1000 Challenge)

From: Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 10:59:15 -0300

Em Fri, 21 May 2004 22:43:24 +0200, Hugo Kornelis escreveu:

> Yes, I am thinking SQL. As I already mentioned elsewhere in this thread,
> I'm not a theorist.

        OK, but would you want to get things right or to drag us down to OT discussions?

> My daily job involves datamodelling and building applications with MS SQL
> Server at the core. In modelling, I use the term "domein" (which is the
> literal Dutch translation of domain - but this might be a situation where
> the literal translation is wrong) for a set of valid values.

        That is OK, but your modelling probably should also include the operators.

> When I start creating tables, SQL Server wants me to supply a
> "data_type" for each column.

        That is wrong. A data type is just the domain plus its operators. MS (I assume it's not his older, better brother Sybase) SQL Server, as all SQL DBMSs, has no proper support for user-defined data types or domains, and gets all terminology right.

        So what your are calling data types are data types indeed, it is just that they are limited to the very simple ones provided by the tool you use.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219
Av Sgto Geraldo Santana, 1100 6/71               +55 (11) 5686 9607