Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 10:42:27 GMT

"John Jacob" <jingleheimerschmitt_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:72f08f6c.0405240747.232efd64_at_posting.google.com...
> > > You can make up another term if you want, but we already have a very
> > > good term for this concept. It's called an application. What,
> > > besides confusion, is accomplished by introducing another term for the
> > > same concept?
> >
> > Does the RM address object data? No.
>
> Would you care to define object data?

Application program componentry.

> > Does Date address the application layer in "Intro DB Systems"? No.
>
> So if he doesn't address it in An Introduction to Database Systems, he
> never addresses it? He's written quite a bit more than that textbook.

What does "What not How" say about the application software layer surrounding the database? How many chapters are devoted to the generalised theory of the relationship between the applications layer and the RDBMS layer?

> > My reasons for differentiating between the concept of data and the
> > concept of intelligence commence with the observation that these two
> > things are totally different entities.
> >
> > You dont see this?
>
> I didn't say they were the same. I said don't introduce a new term
> for an existing concept. What you are calling "intelligence" here is
> simply application logic.

It is the emergent dynamic over and above the sum of the parts. http://www.mountainman.com.au/software/Theory_of_Organizational_Intelligence.htm

The article details change-management tasks that must be described as coordination tasks (generic and independent of the application program language selected). These coordination tasks are the most expensive maintenance costs in standard database systems.

They are directly related to both the data and the application environment.

But it is not just simply application logic, it is the intelligence and automations behind the coordinated management of an RDBMS and its application.

Pete Brown
Falls Creek
Oz Received on Tue May 25 2004 - 12:42:27 CEST

Original text of this message