Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: John Jacob <jingleheimerschmitt_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 24 May 2004 08:47:19 -0700

> > You can make up another term if you want, but we already have a very
> > good term for this concept. It's called an application. What,
> > besides confusion, is accomplished by introducing another term for the
> > same concept?
>
> Does the RM address object data? No.

Would you care to define object data?

> Does Date address the application layer in "Intro DB Systems"? No.

So if he doesn't address it in An Introduction to Database Systems, he never addresses it? He's written quite a bit more than that textbook.

> My reasons for differentiating between the concept of data and the
> concept of intelligence commence with the observation that these two
> things are totally different entities.
>
> You dont see this?

I didn't say they were the same. I said don't introduce a new term for an existing concept. What you are calling "intelligence" here is simply application logic. Received on Mon May 24 2004 - 17:47:19 CEST

Original text of this message