Re: Total Information Quality and Data Quality?

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 10:07:48 -0400

"Jan Moeller" <jan.moeller_at_everymail.net> wrote in message news:2h9jhiFakai7U1_at_uni-berlin.de...
> Hi,
>
> Me and a friend are currently writing a short paper about Data Quality
> (problems, causes, solutions) at our university.

Perhaps it might be worthwhile to briefly review the difference between data quantity and information quantity.
I realize that quantity and quality are not the same thing, but a brief study of quantity might shed some light on quality.

Data quantity can be measured, fairly simply, in bits. This doesn't take into account compressibility, but that's intentional.

For a measure of information quantity, I would start with Shannon's formulae. With a suitable choice of units, Shannon's measure can be restated in bits. This allows a simple comparison between information quantity and data quantity.

Note that information quantity is context dependent. A given message might contain a lot of information about your current bank balance, and no information about tomorrow's weather. Received on Mon May 24 2004 - 16:07:48 CEST

Original text of this message