Re: Nearest Common Ancestor Report (XDb1's $1000 Challenge)

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 May 2004 17:31:56 -0700

> "(...) and the solution must be as generic, meaning allow the user to
> create ANY hierarchy, (...)" Now, I just tested what would happen if
> I tried to do the same kind of thing with the XDb1 solution.
> I entered "laptop1 leader2 trinity." and got the following error
> message: "Invalid relator."

The error message is correct in the sense that XDb1 does not know any relator named "leader2". It needs to be "taught" new relators and one can't teach it simply by using it in a sentence. Thus far you have mostly seen 'X isa thing' or 'Y is red'. XDb1 knows these and a few others because the db was "taught" these during its creation. User can "teach" ANY relator, but currently it requires the API and some work is required to make it user-friendly. Which relator would you like me to add to the downloadable db at the website? Thus the provided solution is more generic in relation to hierarchies. However, currently the provided solution doesn't properly model the most important hierarchy, the class hierarchy. In XDb1, classes can form a hierarchy. This is not possible in the provided solution as the hierarchies table is not used. Received on Sun May 23 2004 - 02:31:56 CEST

Original text of this message