Re: Nearest Common Ancestor Report (XDb1's $1000 Challenge)

From: Nick Landsberg <hukolau_at_NOSPAM.att.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 00:13:06 GMT

[ Everything Snipped ]

OK folks, I have found this discussion fascinating and educational. However I would like to add one more item into the equation, and it is not theory (although I notice that c.d.theory is in the distribution list) ---

Given the possible implementations, how long would this query run on a 1 million record database? (That's actually small by today's standards) And then for a 10 million record database.

Pick your own hardware, e.g. raid arrays, 2.5 GHZ CPU's etc., but tell me how long this query would run, please.

Theory is nice, but, in my experience,
performance is what sells systems to
customers.

--
"It is impossible to make anything foolproof
because fools are so ingenious"