Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Todd B <toddkennethbenson_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 May 2004 10:52:05 -0700

"Eric Kaun" <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<bYnrc.19598$D33.8008_at_newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...

> And your theory is Goedel-complete? Doubtful. Let's agree to stop waving
> Goedel and Occam about, and concentrate on specific areas of incompleteness
> that matter in both theory and practice...
>
> - erk

Well said.

In a way, however, Godel's theorem is pertinent because it touches on the fact that a database, no matter what it's design is or underlaying structure is, will 'definitely' not be able to answer every question we want to ask it. Not that I'm being doomsday about logic :) I just think there can be a source of frustration in being able to answer a corporation's questions, and the culprit may not always be the database choice or database design, but may be that the question is simply unanswerable (although I have to admit, this has never actually happened to me, so take me with a grain of salt). It's something to think about, though.

Todd Received on Fri May 21 2004 - 19:52:05 CEST

Original text of this message