Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: x <x-false_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:28:33 +0300

  • Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****

"Anthony W. Youngman" <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:m24e2vGDAMqAFwsl_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk...
> In message <40a6bd9d$0$65124$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl>, mAsterdam
> <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> writes
> >Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

> >> But *I* don't know what "data" is "as it really is", and from the
> >>answers I've got so far I don't think anybody else does. The best
> >>definition so far is for data as it is defined in the relational model
> >>(and that's pretty much the only proper definition anybody's tried to

>>give).

> >> And if we haven't got a philosophical definition, we can't compare
> >>the philosophical and theoretical definitions, and therefore we
> >>haven't got a clue as to whether either "the relational model mostly
> >>works", or (and this is important) where its limitations are and where
> >>it breaks down.
> >
> >I won't answer the original question either (I'll just rephrase it),
> >but I will share some thoughts about just what "data" means.
> >Just a few associated concepts I have used to have some
> >grasp of this - a semantical network, if you will.
> >I have no sources or proofs, no famous
> >philosofer to refer you to.
> >
> <major chomp>
> >
> >Aside: From here (sign and meaning) on "up" (towards
> >information, knowledge, insight, wisdom, action, ...)
> >there is actually a lot of philosofical work and practical research.
> >Disciplines:
> >Semiotics, semiology and linguistics.
> >(Note: no computer needed)
> >
> >Now, when we assign same or similar meanings to bitpatterns,
> >most of the time conviniently represented by the same shape
> >but evidently on another medium, we have computerdata,
> >data for short.
> >
> >Finally, the rephrase of your question:
> >How does the type of DBMS affect what we consider data?
> >
> Okay. That's actually a very good insight ...
>

> Now let's go back to "The Philosophy of Science" :-) and Newton :-) For
> my first attempt at a Masters, practically the first thing we did was
> "The philosophy of Science". And, helped by both students and a lecturer
> who didn't have a clue (the student extrapolated a line from the origin,
> through an asymptote, to a random position in number-space, and then
> used this to ridicule the theory he didn't like. And the lecturer said
> "good argument" !?!?!? )
>

> I'm going to start saying "metaphysics" instead of philosophy here - I
> think it's a subset of philosophy, and a better word to use, but as you
> can see, I'm really getting into territory I don't understand ...
>

> Anyway. Newtonian Mechanics is a self-contained, consistent,
> mathematical theory. It relies on the concepts (call them "axioms") of
> mass, energy, space, and time (and maybe more). We can define mass in
> mathematical terms as "F=ma, where mass m is the constant property
> describing the resistance of an object to a change in its velocity".
> Likewise, space "is a co-ordinate system with distance measured in
> metres along three mutually perpendicular axes". I won't attempt to
> [...]

I have read somewhere that in addition to mass, energy, space, and time there is also information.
I'm not an expert, but I've heard the ADN is an example of this. I've read that "information" show up in systems with cycles. By accident, I've found this http://www.bkent.net/Doc/darxrp.htm

  • Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! *** http://www.usenet.com Unlimited Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=