Re: Wishing trolls away

From: Jonathan Leffler <jleffler_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 07:37:57 GMT

Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
> How much did they pay to buy Informix? Pretty big sum, I think.

Depends on view point - not negligible, but not as much as Oracle hopes to pay for Peoplesoft (by a factor of 7-8, roughly).

> And MOST of the value they paid was actually for U2, not the Informix
> database.

That, I think, is an exaggeration, especially in terms of revenue.

If you'd picked on Cloudscape - maybe.

If you'd picked on RedBrick - perhaps.

If you'd picked on IDS - probably.

If you'd picked on XPS - probably not.

If you'd picked on SE - probably not.

If you'd picked on OnLine - probably not there, either, but it would give U2 a run for its money.

Email: jleffler_at_earthlink.net, jleffler_at_us.ibm.com