Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 17:23:35 -0500

"Anthony W. Youngman" <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:m24e2vGDAMqAFwsl_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk...
> In message <40a6bd9d$0$65124$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl>, mAsterdam
> <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> writes
> >Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
<snip>
> And yet, I keep on saying Pick
> data should be normalised! So I'm actually very pro relational theory
> (just leave relational databases out of it! :-)

This wasn't the crux of your post, Wol, but just a minor point that relational theorist take all of the functional dependency normal forms and state at the front of each that the data must FIRST be in FIRST NORMAL FORM and some would state that the definition of normalization requires that the data be in 1NF. So, while I accept normal forms that are based on functional dependeny logic, I'm fine with keeping a list of valid e-mail addresses together during this process. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but when you are pro normalization, are you including 1NF in hat? --dawn Received on Tue May 18 2004 - 00:23:35 CEST

Original text of this message