Re: Date is Incomplete - database application software and database theory

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 12:12:42 -0400

This is a most interesting discussion, and I don't want to ruin it by hijacking the thread. So I hope the following won't sidetrack the conversation.

I think the beginning of introducing "active objects" into the database and the DBMS was views, rather than procedures.

The query that implements a view is process, expressed in language that the DBMS can carry out.

And the fact that the view can be used as if it were data allows the DBMS user to ignore the fact that it's implemented via process.

Many (but not all) of the issues that surfaced in connection with procedures reprise issues that surfaced in connection with views. Received on Mon May 17 2004 - 18:12:42 CEST

Original text of this message