Re: Navigation vs Relational operators

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 08:58:29 -0400

Here's what I think the point was of the taxi navigation example.

You know where you want to go, but you may not know the best way to there.

The cabbie knows the best way to navigate to a variety of destinations, but doesn't (initially) know where you want to go.

When you say "Take me to LAX", you are delegating the navigation to someone who does that.

Now if you had some kind of SQL like interface on top of an engine that knew how to navigate through ISAM files, you would have the "what not how", to the extent that SQL succeeds at separating what from how. That's another discussion. Received on Mon May 17 2004 - 14:58:29 CEST

Original text of this message