Re: The Network Data Model, foundation for Relational Model

From: Ken North <knorth2_at_deletethis.yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 16:08:21 -0700

"Anne & Lynn Wheeler" <lynn_at_garlic.com> wrote in message news:uzn8884ym.fsf_at_mail.comcast.net...

> a random reference turned up by search engine that happens to also
> mention medical informatics and UMLS semantic networks

UMLS® SEMANTIC NETWORK
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/META3.HTML

Several portions of the MeSH hierarchy have been labeled with child to parent semantic relationships. All of the anatomy, diseases, and psychiatry and psychology sections have been labeled, as well as a portion of the biological sciences section. The links that are expressed between MeSH terms are, with a few exceptions, reflected in the Semantic Network.

That particular semantic network is a recent development.

When I worked on the MEDLARS query processor, the data was in a hierarchical database. National Library of Medicine used a controlled domain vocabulary (MeSH) for indexing medical literature. For searches containing frequently-used MeSH terms, we used bitmapped indexes.