Re: Date is Incomplete - database application software and database theory

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 06:51:38 -0400

> On the other end of *some* spectrum I read a big red book
> by Grady Booch (I can't find it right now, I think it was
> OOA&D with applications) with maybe 10 lines in all
> about persistence (as if this dealt with databases).
> Talking to fresh Java programmers this still seems
> the main line of thinking in the object community.

I liked the OOA book by Peter Coad and Edward Yourden.

The major advantage it offered over the "classical" approach is that it unites data analysis with process analysis.

In the classical approach, the application people and the data base people go their separate ways shortly after requirements definition, and don't come together again until they have designed and built something. There's too much chance for irreconcilable divergence in that approach, or for having to back track.

IMO, Coad and Yourden didn't short change persistence. Received on Sat May 15 2004 - 12:51:38 CEST

Original text of this message