Re: Ah, but who has better parties?

From: Eric Kaun <ekaun_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 13:01:46 GMT

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:c81d4m$kvp$1_at_news.netins.net...
> "Tony Douglas" <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net> wrote in message
> > (At the relational party, but wishing things would, you know, lighten
> > up a bit. All this politics and religion getting bandied about. So far
> > as I know, database theories haven't killed anyone yet.)
>
> Yes, yes, yes -- it has killed many companies! There are many examples of
> companies that decided to move to that new requirement in the 80's or 90's
> of a "relational database" and ended up belly up. I've read several such
> stories, but would have to drum one of 'em up if you are interested.

I would - you've said this before, and I don't agree with your conclusion. Lots of companies doing XML and object databases in the 1999-2001 timeframe ended up belly-up, with nary a SQL or relational DBMS in sight. Besides, it's like death - it makes the headlines, and the births and marriages and such get relegated to the back pages. There are even more ways to bury a company than there are to bury a software project.

> Now, I
> don't know that any people lost their lives with these deaths, but I
> wouldn't be surprised if there were at least one suicide in this mix
(can't
> believe I said that after you sent out cheers and all!)
>
> So, my point is, database theories DO impact real people in real ways.

That Date book makes a hell of an impact. *whack*

> Again, if we could keep them in the labs until they are proven
> (emperically), that would surely help doncha think? More cheers! --dawn

So every technology has to be subjected to a standard body of tests prior to release into the wild? And that word "empirical" - reminds me of Inigo Montoya from "The Princess Bride", referring to "inconceivable": "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

  • erk