Re: Date is Incomplete - database application software and database theory

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 09:30:57 GMT

"Eric Kaun" <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "mountain man" <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op> wrote in message
> > "Eric Kaun" <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > "mountain man" <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op> wrote in message

> So any discussion of computing has to discuss application software as
well?
> I disagree completely; there are many, many disciplines in and around
> computer science that lend value without delving into applications.

My position is that of a generalist.
All things are connected.

And *particularly* are they connected
to the database schema.

> > > Between the RDBMS software and the application software? Well, he
offers
> > > Tutorial D and its type system in Third Manifesto - that language is
the
> > > interface.
> >
> > Why have another language? Doesn't that suggest use
> > of the first language is not implemented properly? ;-)
>
> What first language?

The language implemented since 1979 within pre-shrunk gift-wrapped packages
called RDBMS software.

> Tutorial D is one possibility; Date presents a relational calculus
"version"
> as well. He's not proposing a language, for the most part - he uses it
> primarily to illustrate his models.

How about SQL in all its
RDBMS vendor forms?

> > > But I have to admit I'm somewhat confused by the phrase "generic
> > application
> > > system software level", which perhaps needs a few more qualifying
nouns
> > > and/or adjectives for clarity. :-)
> >
> > I dont know. My position is a generalist one.
> >
> > 1. We have database software.
> > 2. We have application software.
> > 3. When are they ever used separately?

> The database exists to implement applications, and in particular to
> conceptually unify the many different applications which tend to surround
> any meaningful data.
> But just because the one is used by the other doesn't
> mean they can't be discussed separately.

My point is that they have been discussed separately for the last 25 years, and one is just as incomplete without the other.

> Neither of the above discuss
> hardware, and don't we need hardware to run the software? What about
> electricity - doesn't electrical theory play into our computer systems?
And
> mechanical engineering, of the hard drive and other components? Optics for
> the CD/DVD drives? Man is that theory every incomplete.

Environment 0 - Hardware.

Software Environments are:
E1 = Machine OS and bundled N/W OS.
E2 = RDBMS
E3 = Application

> > 4. One would expect there to be in theory common ground.
>
> True, but also a degree of separation. One hopes. The alternative is the
Big
> Ball of Mud pattern.

There are also cyclic evolutionary theories.

> > 5. The theory is incomplete.
>
> Uh... perhaps, but not based on your argument above.

See above.

Pete Brown
Falls Creek
Oz Received on Fri May 14 2004 - 11:30:57 CEST

Original text of this message