Re: Date is Incomplete - database application software and database theory

From: John Jacob <jingleheimerschmitt_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 May 2004 22:14:55 -0700

> My reading of Date allows me to assert his detailed
> coverage of the theoretical ground of database
> systems technology lacks any meaningful discussion
> of the (one would implicity assume exists) application
> system software which is to "inhabit" the system.

You're reading of Date is not very extensive. He is one of the few in the field who routinely *applies* the theory to actual applications. Indeed, his self-proclaimed mantra is 'Theory IS Practical'. For what? Applications! At the very least you should read What Not How.

> This is radical incompleteness of theory.

There is no formal basis for the development of applications. It is still very much an art, and unless and until you can show otherwise, you have no basis for making this claim. Received on Fri May 14 2004 - 07:14:55 CEST

Original text of this message