Re: Date is Incomplete - database application software and database theory

From: --CELKO-- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 13 May 2004 12:42:46 -0700

>> This is my point Celko. The model is incomplete, and was that way
since the beginning, at least since 1980 when people started using relational database products. <<

I am not sure what you mean by "incomplete"; Technically, I can show that the SQL model is equivalent to primitive recursive functions and that means it has at least the same computational power as a simple declarative language on a single stack machine. This is of no use in the real world, since nobody would do an implementation based on it.

If you mean that we need to keep working on data theory, I strongly agree. There is not a good formal definition of OLAP as far as I know. Nor of reports. Data mining and Data Quality are still wide open subject areas. Temporal and spatial data need work.

>> Alot of people think that because I am criticising Date I do not
appreciate the work he has done. This is baloney. <<

I have it worse than you do; I actually Chris and have found him to be a gentleman and quite funny in person. His keynote speech at DAMA last week was great.

>> I simply ask: "Have we reached the ultimate level of understanding
concerning the theory and management of relational database technology, as elucidated and published by Date et al."? Of course we have not. <<

"The road goes on forever and the story never ends!" Received on Thu May 13 2004 - 21:42:46 CEST

Original text of this message