Re: Data independence

From: Paul G. Brown <paul_geoffrey_brown_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 May 2004 10:08:54 -0700

"x" <x-false_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<40a35391_at_post.usenet.com>...
> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>

> "Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message

> > It does not make sense to me.
> >
> Suppose you have an application that use some relvars like this:
> R(A1,A2,A3,A4,B1,B2,B3,...)
> where {A1,A2,A3} is a candidate key for R.
> After some time you find out that {A1,A2,A3,A4} is the "real" candidate key
> for R.
> Do you need to modify the application ?
> There is a way of writing applications that are not affected by this change
> ?

   No.

   But let me put this to you: your use of the relational model has given  you a language to describe the problem, and to analze the impact on  applications that such a change will have. You can instantly decide  when a particular query needs to be re-written (any query that employs  the previous Key constraint).

   How would you analyze a procedural routine to arrive at the same  conclusion? In a related question, how would you decide that the  sub-routine halts? Received on Thu May 13 2004 - 19:08:54 CEST

Original text of this message