Re: Ah, but who has better parties?

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:36:28 -0500

"Tony" <andrewst_at_onetel.net.uk> wrote in message news:c0e3f26e.0405130113.546a8afe_at_posting.google.com... > "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:<c7umiq$8j$1_at_news.netins.net>...
> > "Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra" <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
wrote
> > in message news:pan.2004.05.13.01.16.06.50324_at_dutra.fastmail.fm...

> > > OT and frivolous your posting... and dead wrong. At least me
> > > and Fabian Pascal I know for sure to be casual dressers. And you
> > > obviously never saw a photo of Date.
> >
> > And you are suggesting that the three of you would have been the party
> > planners or that you would have violated the suggested attire? OK, I
> > realize that I did forget to mention the negativity, but there was
plenty to
> > go around at both parties.
> >
> > And YOU might think this irrelevant, but I hope you can see that the
point
> > I'm making is that there is some aspect of personality involved in what
> > approaches are taken to addressing similar problems.
> > Cheers! --dawn

> So the moral is: hire Pickies to organize your parties but keep them
> well away from your data, and hire Relationalists to design your
> databases but don't invite them to your parties.  Right?  ;-)

Maybe for you. My observation on this one was that the personalities of the two groups (not necessarily individuals within the groups) were really very different and I don't think that is accidental. I suspect borrowing software application development strategies from each would be better than buying either hook, line, and SINKER.

Why the groups have such different personalities, if you agree with me that they do, might have something to do with some of the early pioneers of each (for example, Codd and Pick seem to have been very different characters) and it might even have to do with the actual solutions chosen where relational theory thinks in terms of constraining the "builders" and you learn the "discipline" in college and PICK is perhaps more of a craft where you could make very ugly stuff but you learn by experience and as an apprentice. I'm just thinking out loud and surely could be full of thit (hoping that making my own attack on me will keep away the personal attack kings -- guess which party they go to ;-).

Cheers! --dawn Received on Thu May 13 2004 - 15:36:28 CEST

Original text of this message