Re: IDEF0 Critique

From: Wayne Warren <wwarren_at_MANGLEbirdstep.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 15:06:26 GMT

I was involved in a very early automation of IDEF0 back in 1981. It was part of the Air Force's ICAM (Integrated Computer-Aided Manufacturing) program, and they tried to use IDEF0 to communicate process information between themselves and the industry partners. What I remember from that time is that nearly everyone interpreted it a little differently or fudged on the definitions of Mechanisms or Controls.

It had two benefits. First, it forced people to think through their processes in order to reduce them to a model's representation. Second, it did facilitate communication. However, I don't think it did either of these things in a particularly effective manner.