Re: Wishing trolls away

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 21:27:36 -0300

Em Tue, 11 May 2004 17:05:37 -0500, Dawn M. Wolthuis escreveu:

> Sorry to disappoint, if I am among your targets for this posting.

        Not specifically.

        I was really thinking more of advertisers.

> I am truely, honestly, searching for why my book-knowledge and
> experience are so out of alignment in the area of databases, so I am
> guilty of bringing experience into the mix.

        Experience is not the problem at all.

> I will (and do) try to leave any discussion of existing products out
> of the mix and will stick to nothing that exists, if that would be
> preferable.

        The issue is not existing products, in fact modern RDBMSs are quite recent.

> Should I also stick only to questions specifically about RDBMS's?

        No.

        But when you compare to something else, try to do it conceptually, not just 'it works'. There are lots of things that work, like SQL, yet are not sane.

        In doubt, think, read, think again before writing. And try to avoid bad books if you can, they are legion.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219
Av Sgto Geraldo Santana, 1100 6/71               +55 (11) 5686 9607