Re: c.d.theory lexicon overview

From: Anthony W. Youngman <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 18:43:39 +0100

In message <IPUhc.1343$17.159406_at_news1.epix.net>, Senny <sennomo_at_hotmail.com> writes
>The situation will only continue to get worse unless a concerted effort is
>made to rehash our nomenclature. I don't know if the community is up to
>it, though. Programmers, unlike lawyers, seem to be fine with ad-hockish
>kluges.
>
>So, to summarize, your arguments are all correct in reference to everyday
>language. (In fact, I appreciate your understanding.) However, they do
>not apply to terminology, where the quest for precision overrides
>colloquial behavior.

The problem is not down to programmers, though :-(

What does the word "hacker" mean? To computer people, it means an experienced and knowledgeable programmer. But to the world in general, journalism has twisted its meaning to "someone who breaks into computers" - usually an ignorant script kiddie to boot :-(

It's very hard to come up with a clear and precise terminology, when the very people you need to spread clarity are doing their damnedest to maximise the fog :-(

Cheers,
Wol

as Lies-to-People.