Re: New RDBMS implementation

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 22:50:53 -0300

Em Thu, 06 May 2004 23:37:04 +0100, Anthony W. Youngman escreveu:

> MS waited until now to have 64 bits

>>products again so they could do it with no porting at all.  That is the
>>real reason why Opteron is going to kill Itanium, and why inferior
>>Itanium is being hyped over UltraSPARC or PowerPC.

> And don't forget. AMD64 is here NOW!

        Alpha has been here for more than a decade now, UltraSPARC and PowerPC nearly that. In fact Itanic has been here for around a year before AMD64.

> There are relying on a quick release of Windows-64bit to help them
> get one over Intel. But MS have so far delayed the release of that
> Windows twice. What's the betting the delays will continue?

        If people start buying AMD64 systems to buy GNU/Linux and if they get better price/performance ratios than Wintel, not much.

> When the history books are written, what's the betting that they say
> AMD *should* have won this time, but were crucified by Microsoft who
> gave Intel too much time to catch up.

        That's still a distinct possibility.

        Perhaps I read too much DEC propaganda, but I still have this feeling that RISC I can understand, while Itanic seems like black magic or snake oil. But then I couldn't bring myself to read the ReqTech's TransRelational patents.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219
Av Sgto Geraldo Santana, 1100 6/71               +55 (11) 5686 9607