Re: Len Silverston's Universal Data Models sanity

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 09:33:11 -0300

Em Thu, 06 May 2004 12:01:37 +0000, Alfredo Novoa escreveu:

>>	Agreed, but with SQL physical data independence simply ain't
>>here.

> This is what the Transrelational Model offers, and why it is a so
> important advance.

        I am not so sure the TRM is really that much better... with updateable derived relations any D should have decent data independence. Nathan has some nice ideas about that.

>>	I hope our next system will be done in a RDBMS.  But my
>>current ones are stuck in Oracle SQL.

> Oracle has something called "materialized views" intented to do that.

        Yep. But even MVs can be pigs when you have a long history behind you.

>>> BTW What do you think about to use Tutorial D or D4 instead of XML for
>>> data exchange?
>>
>>	The obvious thing.

> Although ASCII text is never very efficient.

        The thing about XML is not efficiency, but the hierarchical model. There are binary versions of XML intended for wire transmission. So there could be also binary, wire versions of any D.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219
Av Sgto Geraldo Santana, 1100 6/71               +55 (11) 5686 9607