Re: Peter Chen and Charles Bachman

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 08:17:47 -0400

"D Guntermann" <guntermann_at_hotmail.com> wrote

> I get the sense that you might be deeply involved with data warehousing
and
> ETL processes. In your experience, have you had successes enforcing and
> standardizing a unified grand conceptual model?

Well, I've been involved with a few warehousing projects, but none of them were the grandiose "conquer the world" style of project. These were projects lasting about 13 weeks, after which the whole project was to be turned back over to the permanent employees of the client. Sucess was critically dependent on ETL. Real data sells the project better than test data.

I've not been directly involved in the grand unified conceptual schema with clients, so I can't comment either favorably or unfavorably. What I will say, from experience, is that when integration happens, the driving force comes not for the technologists, but from the substantive users of the data. These are the people who have something to gain.

And these people can understand a conceptual model much better than a technical model. Received on Thu May 06 2004 - 14:17:47 CEST

Original text of this message