Re: Peter Chen and Charles Bachman

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 22:14:51 -0400

"D Guntermann" <guntermann_at_hotmail.com> wrote
> There is truth in that statement, but I would submit that logical data
> elements and structures, particularly in the relational model, can be tied
> back to a reconciliation and harmonization of one or more conceptual
models
> (note: plural). Semantics inherently reflect one's view of the world and
> that one view doesn't necessarily correspond to another's view of the
world.
> In some cases, we can accept a single view of the world, but with
enterprise
> data management mechanisms, we must at least have the capability to
> accomodate all views of the world (different conceptual models) that are
> pertinent.

Very good point. But reconciling two conceptual models that are independent of each other is much harder, IMO, than reformatting data to work with a different tool. In other words, it's the unified concpetual model that has to be acheived if you are going to integrate systems. Received on Thu May 06 2004 - 04:14:51 CEST

Original text of this message