Re: VIEWS compared to Nodes as Windows into data

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 10:58:38 GMT

On 4 May 2004 03:16:39 GMT, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org> wrote:

>The world rejoiced as alfredo_at_ncs.es (Alfredo Novoa) wrote:
>>>Competing with Microsoft, who is presumably interested in having SQL
>>>Server be dominant on their deployments, is likely to go badly;
>>
>> I need to ridiculize SQL Server :)
>
>That doesn't mean you can beat Microsoft on a platform that they
>control.

I am not so ambitious.

>Gupta Software, who used to pretty blindly support M$ Windows as their
>only platform, is now in the process of retargeting their software to
>Linux. <http://www.guptaworldwide.com/>

I prefer that other people retarget the .NET framework to other platforms and other processors. That's the idea of the .Net framework. Others will do the port for you.

>In effect, they concluded that Linux was an easier target platform to
>do well on.

But the 100% of our customers use Windows.

> In the Windows arena, they're fighting MS Access and .NET
>as the prime competition. On Linux, while there's plenty of
>more-credible competing DBMS server software, there's not nearly the
>population of tools competing with "Report Builder" and "Team
>Developer."

But integration with Crystal Reports and MS Office is essential for our products. Microsoft is very dominant in Spain and Linux is rare on the desktop.

Most of our users only know about accounting and they are very clumsy with computers.

>This does not guarantee that the strategy will forcibly be highly
>profitable to them, but I tend to think their chances are better on
>Linux than in fighting Microsoft directly...

I have very little resources and with the .Net framework you can implement a toy programming language in a couple of weeks. But of course an industrial D is not so simple.

>It's not obvious that this will necessarily get you rich, regardless
>of your strategy.

Of course, I meant I would like to be at least a bit richer :)

>I would think your best chances of profit would come from selling your
>services as an expert consultant as opposed to expecting windfalls
>from selling licenses. Think hard about your strategy...

The idea is to have a decent DBMS to build our business systems and we don't think a lot about selling licenses of the DBMS alone.

I don't think that developing a TRDBMS would help to sell more consultancy services. In my country consultancy is hard business for little companies.

Although I would like to give it for free for non commercial purposes, and very cheap for commercial ones.

Regards and thanks for your advices

  Alfredo Received on Tue May 04 2004 - 12:58:38 CEST

Original text of this message