New RDBMS implementation

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 17:56:04 -0300

Em Mon, 03 May 2004 20:31:21 +0000, Alfredo Novoa escreveu:

>>	Details?

> Well, it is a very modest project. The progress is slow but IMO it is
> promising. It is a full time project since the last week :)

        Academic assignment, unemployment or A Very Nice Employer(R)?

> I am implementing view updating and I want to implement always
> updated snapshots and very flexible physical database design,
> semantic optimization, type specialization by constraint, etc.

        The whole bunch practically...

>>	Seriously, I suppose you must be working on a competitor to
>>Alphora Dataphor, but on POSIX?

> It is not a direct competitor because it is a complete DBMS that does not
> need an SQL DBMS behind the scenes.

        Neither will Dataphor some time hence... OTOH it is a complete RAD environment.

> And the core is 'inspired' in the Transrelational Model.

        Did you actually read the patents?

> I am implementing it on the .Net framework.

        Are you keeping an eye in Portable.Net or Mono portability?

>>  Are you sticking to either D4 or Tutorial D?

> The language is almost identical to Tutorial D.

        Where and why did you feel you had to differ from what's published, for curiosity's sake?

        I remember Nathan Allan asking you to collaborate rather than competing, I found it confusing because his is not free software to enable collaboration in the first place. But I hoped you were going D4 so that we'd have two competing, compatible products.

        BTW, what about planned licensing, availability etc?

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219
Av Sgto Geraldo Santana, 1100 6/71               +55 (11) 5686 9607