Re: Pre-relational, post-relational, 1968 CODASYL "Survey of Data Base Systems"

From: Lauri Pietarinen <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com>
Date: 1 May 2004 20:56:01 -0700

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:<c6n0vt$hed$1_at_news.netins.net>...
> > IMS IBM
> Alive and, uh, well, at IBM with IMS software using DB2 underneath in
> many/most? cases?

You have to make a distinction between IMS/DB and IMS/TM. IMS/TM is the transaction monitor (NOT a DBMS!) and is well and alive. The alternative IBM provides is CICS, but it does not favour one over the other.

IMS/DB is the same as DL/I (the hierarchical database). It is still in use because some old systems on mainframes have not yet been migrated to DB2, but I suspect that no new development is been done using DL/I (aka IMS/DB).

There is a product called DL/2 (not by IBM) which replaces IMS/DB "under the covers", by translating DL/I calls into SQL. Using this approach you can replace IMS/DB with DB2 without having to touch the application programs.

regards,
Lauri Pietarinen Received on Sun May 02 2004 - 05:56:01 CEST

Original text of this message