Re: Teach SELECT DISTINCT first!

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:45:34 -0500

"Lemming" <thiswillbounce_at_bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:4vf090pifakqq9hh47ej9ackund2p6dip5_at_4ax.com...
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:32:27 -0500, "Dawn M. Wolthuis"
> <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote:
>
> >"Lemming" <thiswillbounce_at_bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> >> They are all fads ... A, B, C, ... all the way to Z -- all fads. And
> >> that includes the P fad too. R's time will pass, just as P's time has
> >> passed.
> >
> >And what we have remaining after the passing of various fads are things
that
> >work well and things that don't (what some of us care about) AND things
that
> >have robust theories associated with them and things that don't (what
others
> >of us care about). I'm particularly interested in the intersection of
these
> >two. Cheers! --dawn
>
> Would that that were true. I'm not at all convinced that we've
> actually moved on very far in the past 20-odd years -- but that's fine
> by me ... COBOL is still paying my mortgage and keeping my children
> fed and well shod.
>
> Lemming (everything changes, but somehow it stays the same)

When you look at how far hardware has come in 1/2 a century, there are some aspects of software that have made great strides, but database software applications look oh-so-similar to what they were in the 70's (post-punch cards). 3D graphics effects and combo boxes look like some of the biggest advances since "interactive screens". Network progress (including web and client/server) has contributed to this lack of significant non-network-focused progress on the side of business application software (as we work just to keep up).

But is there a chance that this slow progress could, in part, be attributed to that "relational theory" stuff that folks thought would yield advances? There have been a few, but very few, advances in "data processing". One thing relational databases did was stop the progress of much of the other database software that was out there at the time and divert the attention to everything SQL. If we focus on making SQL bigger, better, faster etc for the next several decades, I suspect we will continue at the same pace. And, yes, I read the "grid computing" and SOA sutff too.

Heavy sigh (not designating resignation). --dawn Received on Wed Apr 28 2004 - 20:45:34 CDT